Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Saturday, July 5, 2008

My 4th

Our family 4th of July celebrations actually began on the 3rd and I have to say that they were so typically American that at times it made me want to laugh aloud (in a good way). I know next year when I'm living abroad it will be nice to have these memories of my authentic 4th. Anyway the celebrations began with a spectacular fireworks show in the local high school stadium. Daddy had gotten special passes for us from a member of our church involved in the planning and had also staked us out a special spot to watch all the festivities, which lasted about 4 hours I might add. Warner Robins, where my parents live in Georgia, is the home of a military base and so their fireworks show is particularly special. As I understand it, the pre-show and then the explosive ending is broadcast internationally via the Armed Forces Network. Below are some pictures of the show.


Here are several photos of the crowd.
The paper reported that their were around 25,000 people in attendance.



Parts of the family: Granddaddy, Grammy, Mama, Daddy, and me


A picture of Lonestar, the show's headliners. I had very little idea who they were when we first arrived and was surprised to recognize lots of their songs. Not my favorite type of music, but it was fun to just listen to live music.



Fireworks, of course.




So the actual 4th began with a trip to IHOP for an all-American breakfast of pancakes and eggs. Then several of the family went to Big 6 Farms for fresh peaches to top our homemade boiled custard ice cream we would enjoy later that day. I love living in middle Georgia where peach and pecan orchards are always only a few miles away. Dinner was grilled hamburgers/veggieburgers. Grilling seems so distinctly North American and I remember smelling our neighbors meals throughout the day.


Just, Margaret

0 comments: