Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, June 5, 2009

Ch-ch-changes a la David Bowie

Kinda a crazy song, but feels like my week.  Changes a midst the busyness that is life.  A quick update...
  • Still reeling over the fact that my BFF JM is living here now.  And since now has her mobile we've been texting and iming on Skype all week.  So nice to have somebody from my old life in the same time zone again... someone who understands the misery of trying to sleep-in when the sun is fully up by 6AM.  
  • Again to mention the long days (sunrise a little before 6AM and sunset after 9PM)... makes for an interesting life with a little less sleep.  Plus the weather has really felt like home (sunny and 80 degrees).
  • Sad to say though I missed a bit of the good weather on Tuesday with a horrible sore throat and summer cold.  Not fun, but luckily didn't last long.
  • Wednesday I began to feel back to normal and gave a Rotary talk that morning and then went out to Wells with Pat for the weekly village market.  Such a lovely town with a beautiful cathedral and really lovely 13th c. church to boot. Check out the photo below of the ceiling in the older church. Also where I saw my first real moat.  
  • Yesterday I finalized all the plans for the first week my cousins are visiting.  We're heading for a whirlwind tour of the East.  I've mostly seen West Country since I've been here so to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement.  Plus it will just be fun to hang out with Emily and Janell.  I can't remember when we've last all been together .
  • While I was in the travel planning mood I also began to arrange my trip to France at the end of September.  My retreat to Taize is scheduled- a once in a lifetime experience (seriously since I can't imagine being able to get back before I turn 30).  I've decided on one of the two dates I'll fly back to the states.  Just waiting on confirmation from the parents that someone will be able to pick me up in Atlanta... I don't want to not have anyone in the airport when I arrive.  I did that at Christmas and it was just too sad.  
  • Also yesterday I decided to highlight my hair.  Kinda an impulse decision... thought about it Wednesday night, went in the salon the next morning and 3 hours later my hair that had never been colored before was slightly lighter than before.  Okay I know you probably can't tell much of a difference and I will admit if I were in Georgia this is probably just a little lighter than it would have become naturally over the course of the summer, but it feels very different to me.  Why do it then? Well, I felt the need to be pampered and a little girly before next week when I go on my first dig!
  • After the salon, shopping with Jos for the dig. We both felt pretty silly buying clothes to get dirty in.  Really an insane premise, but most of the t-shirts I would wear didn't make the packing cut when I moved here.   
  • In other news, MY TROWEL arrived in the mail this morning.  It feels like a trophy of some sort.  Surviving the course and making it to my first dig is an accomplishment.  I won't post a photo because Jos already did on her blog and mine looks exactly the same.  And she is totally right it is like Harry getting his wand.   
  • Finally I almost forgot to add that Wednesday I had tea with Bristol's Lord Mayor.  It was at an open day at the Mayoral residence, but still rubbing elbows with Bristol's elite.  
So overall a very busy week, especially when I list it all like that.  [smile]  Won't have my laptop on the dig, but I will have my camera.  Hope to be able to update next Friday before I'm off to London to celebrate the Queen's birthday and meet my cousins.  

Just, Margaret

2 comments:

JM said...

wow, very busy! and about to get busier! You're so right, I love texting and skyping.. makes life way more fun. Have a good dig and can't wait to see you on the 16th!

JM said...

p.s. I've been up since 5am.. ARGH!