Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June Movie Review

Haven't had the chance to see many movies this month with all the traveling I've been doing. Actually I just have 3 to review.


I loved LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE so I was really excited to see that the director teamed up with my favorite actress Amy Adams for this new film. Another dark comedy, tackling issues of self-esteem, death, vocation, measuring life's success- just to name a few. I loved the movie. Funny, sad, and sometimes absolutely disgusting. Beware the first scene, its the most violent, but happily the violence doesn't follow that level of intensity the rest of the way through. (5 out of 5 stars)

I hate this film... I love this film... I hate it... I love it. I've never felt so confused about a movie. I hated the movie because it highlights a bit too realistically the complexities of the female mind. I loved it for the same reason. I hated the wishy washy female characters and the jerky men. I will say the ending for all its faults (meaning it actually negates the movie's premise) had a couple of great one-liners. "You're my exception." Still a fun, albeit predictable chick flick/rom com if that's what you're looking for. (2 of 5 stars)

Put simply this is a fun kid's movie. One dimensional characters, transparent story line, and predictable ending, but still a good rental. (3 of 5 stars)

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Kacie said...

I so agree with the way you described "He's not that into you." It was ridiculous that the message of the movie was made to NOT apply to the main characters! *rolls eyes* I loved and hated it.