Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Margaret's Ultimate Coconut Cake Recipe



I've been in the kitchen all evening preparing for an Easter covered dish meal, but I didn't want to miss posting something new. So I thought I would share a super-easy recipe with you. It's for what I like to call an "Icebox Coconut Cake." I've always loved coconut and my grandmother made this for me the last time I visited. This is the first time I've made it and I have to say that it has so few steps that I can't imagine that anyone could mess it up.



1 box white cake mix
1 can cream of coconut
1 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip
1 14 oz. bag of coconut flakes

Step 1: Prepare cake mix as directed in a 13x9" brownie pan.
Step 2: Immediately after removing cake from oven poke holes in top
with fork.
Step 3: Pour entire can of cream of coconut on to cake.
Distribute evenly.
Step 4: Allow cake to cool and then frost with Cool Whip and top
with coconut flakes. [The recipe calls for all of the coconut flakes to be used on the cake, but even a die hard coconut fan like myself thought that was a bit much. Just use your discretion.]

Serve cake refrigerated. [I'm not sure this is a necessary step, but its just how my grandmother has always served it. Refrigeration is obviously needed to prevent the Cool Whip from spoiling and I think it should also help set the cream of coconut.]


Bon Appetit! Margaret

0 comments: