Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Monday, March 24, 2008

Time for another clue...

It's been a really long Monday at work, but I wanted to make sure to post something today. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I've been really good about posting so far. Let's not celebrate yet! This could just be a fluke. If I'm still posting a month from now we might have reason to rejoice. Maybe we'll have an online party. I'm not sure how that would work, but I'm sure I could find a picture of balloons to post or something.

Anyway for today's post I thought I would give you another clue to the Margaret mystery... I love to play games. Card games, board games, word games, puzzles, ect. Maybe this doesn't come to that great of a surprise to you because of the mystery post theme. I've never really thought about why. I'm sure it plays into my competitive nature. I do have to admit that I enjoy the game best when I win. I think it also has a lot to do with spending time with others. Playing a game is quality time with other human beings and I think deep down we all thrive on that. It's also really fun to see what you can learn about other people during a game. One of the best games for icebreakers with a crowd you know or one you don't is Apples to Apples. It's a party game of word play and I say the more people the better. It is so cool to see how people's minds work.

I'd have to say that my favorite game to play is backgammon. Do you know what that is? If not then check out the Internet backgammon pick on your games menu. Backgammon requires some strategy, but it often comes down to the roll of the dice. My dad taught me how to play and he is still my favorite opponent. We keep score of game wins and every time I come home for a visit we have to play at least one game. Lately, mostly because I've been down on my winning total, we've called it even when I've left. I think my strategy has weakened from my time spent playing online.

Another fun part of the game is the board we play on. It has a history. When I was younger, my dad had a friend he played with, Mr. Bill, a really special older gentleman. When Mr. Bill died, his widow gave my dad the board they played on along with a note that said she thought her husband would have wanted him to have it. It folds into a small case (like all the other boards I've seen) and it has a suede exterior with felt and suede on the inside. The pieces are white and brown, a heavy plastic I guess, and you roll the dice with these special cups made to match the board.

So I guess its not just about the playing of the game, but also about the textures, sounds, colors. Mostly it's about spending special time with my dad. Daddy-Daughter Time. I love it!

Just Margaret

0 comments: