Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Monday, April 14, 2008

A $10 blue plastic lawnchair

Yesterday after church I stopped by WalMart and bought a bright blue plastic lawn chair. One of those lawn chairs that when you first open it is completely flat, then you bend one side or another, and it makes that clicking noise. My thought was that I'd enjoy a nice afternoon outside finishing the book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, for book club on Tuesday night. I did have a nice afternoon, but I forgot one important piece of the puzzle. Sunscreen!!

Yipes! I'm sure you can guess where this is going. Anyway, today I'm paying for my mistake, with two bright red shins and a slight sunglasses shaped burn on my face if you look hard enough. My legs are literally the color of the boiled crawfish I ate with Mom and Pop last week. I know I don't really have anyone to blame except myself, but I've decided to blame WalMart anyway. Why? Well, with my sun drained and fever induced reasoning, I've decided that WalMart made that lawn chair too readily available and also haven't set up their usual, somewhat obnoxious, summer display of sunscreen yet, even in Louisiana where we basically bypass spring every year. I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, but its all I can think about right now.

Time for another application of aloe vera. Just, Margaret

0 comments: