Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Getting my hands dirty...


So I told you earlier this week that I'm working on community gardening projects with my job. Mostly I've been supervising, but today I got a chance to get out and work with our volunteers (from North Carolina, Texas, and Washington). Today we were working on the local Senior Center, basically a place for senior citizens to participate in various recreational activities and receive a free hot lunch. As I'm sure you can see, their landscaping needed a lot of TLC. While the volunteers added plants and mulched the front bed, my job was to wash the sign. It's pretty menial labor cleaning a sign, but while I was working on it all I could think about is how much this small job would mean to the older adults who visit the Senior Center everyday. I've worked with many of them in other settings and I know that so many are plagued by loneliness and feelings of being forgotten. Today was Mr. Dan and Ms. Patricia's day to be remembered. I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes so little to let people know that you care, but it makes a big difference to everyone. Now that I've passed sunshine all around, I'm ready for a shower.

Just, Margaret

0 comments: