Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, April 11, 2008

Scrabble tiles and crawfish

My week with my Mom and Pop is now at its end. They began their long drive home this morning at 8:30AM. I know that I've neglected posting this week, but sometimes its more important to just be present in the moment with people, instead of spending time reflecting on it. Spending time with Mom and Pop has been really special and according to Pop "genuinely an experience of a lifetime." Of course I've already shared that we spent time playing games and in case you were wondering Mom was our overall winner hands down. I did manage to squeeze to Rummikub wins out of the week, but Mom is an amazing Scrabble player and no matter how hard Pop and I tried we simply couldn't even give her some healthy competition. Each game she inevitably drew the Q or Z and then proceeded to squeeze all of the possible point value out of them.

We enjoyed time together at meals and I even expanded their culinary horizons with my awesome homemade pizza and my favorite Mexican restaurant's spinach enchiladas. By far the most fun meal was on Saturday night at a very local seafood restaurant, where Mom and Pop ordered Cajun crawfish boil. Picture a tin bowl full of bright red crawfish and a roll of paper towels on an old heavy wooden table. After a several lessons with the waitress on the proper way to crack open the crawfish shell, Mom and Pop were enjoying an authentic Louisiana feast. It was great and I hate that I forgot my camera.

Just Margaret.

0 comments: