Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thinking about saying goodbye already...

Today was the day that we distribute commodities at work through a program called Food for Families. We only hand out food once a month, but since I've been in charge of the program for over a year now several of the faces that I see each month have become friends-- sweet people who have chosen to share a little part of their lives with me. Today a few of our elderly clients, found out that I would be leaving soon, that my time as a missionary in their community was coming to an end. I was so touched by one older man's response to this news that I wanted to share it with all of you. He of course first questioned me as to when I'd be leaving (which is actually in two months) and then said "We'll miss you." I told him that I would miss seeing him, too, and he reached over to me. I thought he was going to just pat me on the shoulder, but instead he gave me a great big hug and said thank you. It was nice to see that these people who I have only known for a year and who I spend maybe 30 minutes total each month with would miss my presence. I'm so glad that I chose to spend some time serving in a new community after graduating. I feel like I've learned so much about life and I got to meet such sweet people. Serving others makes me feel so alive when I take the time to remember to slow down and recognize what's going on around me. Today receiving a hug from that old man was one of those moments.

Just, Margaret

0 comments: