Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Monday, April 21, 2008

A new pair of glasses

Friday night I picked up my new pair of glasses from Target. I love that feeling of new glasses... being able to see again is great. It always reminds me of when I was a little kid and got my first pair of glasses. I remember that I wasn't too happy about having to wear them all the time, but putting them on and being able to see the leaves in the trees in our backyard was an awesome experience. My parents kept asking me if I could see this or that. I saw the world clearly for probably the first time. So all day Saturday I wore my new glasses revelling in their newness and how well I could see. (To qualify: I very rarely wear my glasses all day and lately it hasn't even because my last pair split down the middle. Plus, since middle school I've been pretty attached to my contacts.)

Today I put on my glasses again and I happened to catch a glimpse of my self reflected in a window pane as I walked into my office building. I'm sure why, but I just started to think about all of the superhero alter egos who wore glasses, like Clark Kent or Peter Parker. I am not a comic connoisseur, in fact I'd say I'm barely a novice in the field. But I do find it interesting that glasses somehow came to signify a change in the comic world from superhero to ordinary guy. Anyway, I began to think what's different about me when I wear my glasses. I haven't figured it all out yet, but I keep thinking about it and let you know. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy seeing clearly.

Just, Margaret

0 comments: