Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Domesticity

Sometimes I just feel the need to be "domestic," today was one of those days.  So I got in the kitchen and made a classic Southern chocolate cake.  I was using a new icing recipe, well new to me.  You see recipes in "the South" are almost what you'd call sacred, some of them are as unattainable as the Holy Grail.  So I was totally excited when earlier in the summer when I visited my home town of Colquitt a family friend gave me the recipe for the icing on the cake that she made.  Since it brought her so much joy to share it with me, I don't think she would mind if I passed it along.  It's actually pretty easy and makes a great cake.  


So here is the "secret" recipe to my success.  Hope you enjoy.  

Mix together 2 cups sugar, 3-4 heaping tablespoons of cocoa, 2/3 cup canned milk and pinch of salt.  Cook on medium heat.  Watch carefully so that it doesn't burn, but don't stir any more than necessary.  (I used a double boiler.)  Add butter about the size of an egg.  (You read that correctly.  I used about 3 tablespoons.)  

Poke small holes in hot cake layers with fork or toothpick and frost while hot.  (This allows some of the yummy icing to seep into the cake.)  I made a yellow cake and actually used a mix, but I guess you could put it on any type of cake you wish.  

The best compliment I've received so far was from my dad who said "that tastes like Ms. Pat's icing."  I'm to take the cake with me this weekend to see friends.  I'll have to make my dad one soon.  

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Dori said...

Sounds like a yummy cake. I'll have to give it a try.