Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, August 8, 2008

The torch is passed

I love the Olympics and have been watching the pageantry of the games all weekend.  I find the whole time so hopeful and one of the best examples around of our capacity to act humanely.  I love it!  The Chinese have done a beautiful job of upholding the beauty of what it means to come together as a global community.  Since 1996 I have been very faithful to watch the opening ceremonies of the Games and this has bee the most wonderful show I think that I have ever seen.  Amazing!  I can't pick a favorite visual, but I love the idea that they created art live on that large piece of paper and the large globe.  Wow!  Here's the link to NBC's website if you missed what I was talking about.  


The torch was just lit and I know this sounds silly, but my only response is that "Hope springs eternal."  How can we deny the value of our human brethren after witnessing such hope.  I can't.  

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Dori said...

All that I can say here is that I am "right here" with you on that one in all that you wrote. (smile) I felt the same way. The hope of what humanity can truly be is an amazing thing and the creativity that it took to put on that Opening Ceremony just shows the amazing capacities of human beings. You made me remember 1996 also, when the Olympics were on our turf in Georgia. What a wonderful time!