Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Language barrier

Okay so I'm traveling to a country where I will not have to use a "second language"  so to speak, but I have been warned on numerous occasions that British English is going to be very different from American English.  Just a couple of nights ago I received yet another English to American dictionary.  To top it off this morning I misread the definition in my word a day email.  The word was lout and instead of reading an awkward brutish person, I read an awkward "British" person.  I think that I must have been thinking about being an awkward British person myself.  (SMILE) So you can say that this whole language barrier issue has been on my mind.  In an effort to prevent my total humiliation at not understanding anything that is spoken, I decided to spend some time with that new dictionary and thought I'd share with you a few of my favorite entries.  Hope they make you smile as much as I did.


rubber cement = cow gum (I'm not really sure that I want to know that word's origin.)
popsicle = iced lolly  
wash cloth = face flannel
to call (from sleep) = knock up (My personal fav because the English so doesn't mean the same thing in America.)

Just, Margaret

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, jumped from Dori's blog. How about pants = underwear in British English? Imagine the sales assistant's face when I asked for a pants hanger. She thought I was crazy until I realised I should call it trousers hanger!
cheers from gray Aberdeen
http://finally-woken.com

Dori said...

That is so true. LOL. I said pants instead of trousers in a store here and the sales assistant looked at me like I had lost my mind. LOL. It's fun to learn though...it's like a new language almost. :-)