Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, September 19, 2008

That sweet sensitive dog


Yesterday I began in earnest packing up my life to move to the UK.  I brought my luggage into the den and began sorting clothing into pile for my carry on and my checked bag.  I want to be prepared just in case a problem occurred with my luggage on the way over.  So last night before we all went to bed my mom just pulled the suit cases over out of the line of traffic so we could work some more in the morning.  


This morning I woke up to my mom bringing Tootie into my room to cuddle before I really got up.  She normally wouldn't be allowed in our beds (especially mine because it is really tall and could hurt if she jumped or fell off), but last night I said something about wanting her to sleep with me.  I guess this was sort of a consolation prize.  Well when my mom put her down she also told me that in the middle of the night Tootie had got up from her pillow that she sleeps on beside my parents bed.  This was kinda unusual and my dad got up to see where she went.  He found her in the den growling at my suitcases.  

I figured she would miss me.  I guess you could say we hung out all summer together and I do always give her a little more food than I'm actually supposed to.  3/8 of a cup twice a day is just mean!  Okay she is a miniature dauscaund, but still. SMILE.  I just didn't realize it would be so traumatic for her that she would apparently have this horrible aversion to my suitcases that woke her up in the middle of the night.  After I'm gone for a while I know she'll be fine, get into another routine, but its like a child this not understanding.  And it definitely doesn't make it easier to leave.  

Just, Margaret

0 comments: