Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

Its been a rough couple of days for my friends in Louisiana.  It is so hard to watch all that is going on and know that I can't be there to help with the recovery efforts.  Thankfully Hurricane Gustav wasn't quite as devastating as it was predicted to be.  But from what I've been able to gather from the TV stations and weatherchannel.com  the storm passed directly over Baldwin, where I used to live.  I know there are several organizations that will be gathering funds and donations.  If you'd like to help, I would recommend checking out the website for the organization that I worked with.  Even though it was in the direct path of the storm UMCOR Sager Brown should begin directing some of the relief efforts by this weekend.  Here's the address http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/.  You can make a monetary contribution or get together with friends or perhaps your church to make kits.  After working at Sager Brown I can tell you that the health kits and flood buckets will be the ones that are most needed.  


And to all my friends in Louisiana, you are in my thoughts and prayers. 
Just, Margaret

0 comments: