Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

7 things about me...

A friend in the blog world, specifically Dori the writer of From A Yellow House in England, tagged me today with the mission to share 7 things about myself.  Since I could really use a break from grad school reading and actively looking for a distraction I decided that this task could just not wait.  


As for who I'm tagging next I'll leave that up to any of you fellow bloggers out their who would like to share.  So if you are so moved to write 7 things about yourself make sure to leave a comment so I can check it out.  

Here is a brief archaeological study of myself... "Margaret's Materialities (a fancy word for the stuff that makes me me)" 
1.  I have a short list of books that have changed my life and except for one, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter which I haven't had a chance to purchase yet, I carry these books with me wherever I move.  Something about seeing them on a shelf makes me feel like this place is really home.

2.  When I was five I had a tonsilectomy partly because I was getting lots of colds, but another slightly more embarrassing reason was because I snored during nap time in kindergarten.  

3.  Another cherished item I've carried with me from place to place is this small square framed photo of my first Christmas.  I'm being held by my mom and my dad is right next to her.  They're standing in front of a Christmas tree (I think maybe at one of my grandparents' homes).  

4.  I played the flute in marching band for four years during high school and sometimes I still find myself walking in step with other people to this imaginary cadence rolling my feet from heel to toe like I was taught about 10 years ago.  

5.  When I was in elementary school I ran for class president.  I made these amazing posters that kinda looked like a book jacket and cleverly said.  "Margaret Bagwell... Gone with the WIN!"  I don't remember whether I won, but I do remember that my poster weren't particularly discernible by my target populace.  

6. Curiously a side effect of moving to a different country has been that I have begun to eat some of the strangest things.  And it is not what you are thinking... the strange things are not because they are stuff that is distinctly English (although I am trying lots of those kind of foods too).  For example I've been eating peanut butter sandwiches.  In the US for at least 15 years I would not touch a peanut butter sandwich.  I have eaten more of these sandwiches than the whole of my lifetime since moving here.  

7.  One of the reasons I've wanted to study archaeology is that in undergrad when we watched these videos from the 1970s of historical subjects I decided it was my secret ambition to one day be one of the experts that they pan to standing in the midst of some ancient site of historical importance and who then rattles on for 10 or 15 minutes about what makes this place important.

I'm glad that I've learned how to laugh at myself.  Up next in my UK journey will be a trip to Wales to see the "Red Lady."  I'll post some photos later in the week.  Until then...

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Dori said...

Margaret,
Sorry it has taken me a few days to get here to see your seven. I love them and I love the name of your list..."Margaret's Materialities". Very cool. :)

I know what you mean about having certain books around you to make it feel like home. When I came here, I brought some of my faves and it has helped me when I have felt homesick, because I could remember how they looked on my shelf back home and it took me back. I know that you cherish your photo of you and your parents at Christmas. Those are the things that ground us. :-)

As for the marching band, we are so alike. I find myself compulsively falling into step with my hubby. And I have amazing peripheral vision now from using that in marching band.

That is so cute about your campaign slogan for class president. :) I love it!

It is odd, but I kid you not, I have eaten lots of peanut butter since I have been here too. We have so much in common. For me, I saw it in the store one day and thought since I hadn't eaten it in years, it would be a bit of nostalgia for when I got homesick. Now I find myself eating it all the time. Go figure. LOL.

Lastly, I can so relate to you wanting to be the go-to expert on National Geographic or the History Channel or something. I used to practice when I was kid just in case I became an expert in whatever field. LOL. Now I can say I have a friend who will be living it out for real. :-)