Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Monday, October 20, 2008

The weather has turned.

Okay today it is officially cold.  I do admit that I type this with some hesitation.  Mainly because i know its going to get worse, but also because the thermometers actually only read 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  Before you go and call me a wimp let me explain that it has been steadily raining since noon and after having stepped in a puddle I have one slightly damp foot (a problem which I plan on remedying as soon as I make it home this evening).  With every slight change of the weather I have one constant thought. "Is this it?  Is this the first day of the long winter to come?"  I felt the same way the fall/winter when I lived in North Dakota.  The one difference is that everyone here talks about the weather all the time.  North Dakotans were a bit more stoic.  (Anyone who has lived there will not find this statement too hard to believe.)  Bristolians, and from what I can tell the British in general, love to talk about the weather.  It may sound a little funny, but this one cultural observation has actually been really helpful.  An unexpected lull in conversation not sure what to say next... say something about a) how horrible the weather is or b) whatever horrible prediction was made about the weather for tomorrow because there was bound to be one.  In any case, I've learned its not the best idea to express optimism.  It is always raining somewhere and it is surely to be raining or windy in wherever you are soon.*  [smile]


Just, Margaret

*In case any clarification is needed, I actually think this "weather obsessed" nation is actually a pretty great place to live and anticipate enjoying many more conversations about the weather throughout the year. 

1 comments:

Dori said...

You're right...the weather is a favorite subject of conversation here :-) I find myself doing that a lot now.