Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Do all the good you can


Some of you may recognize the title above as being the start of John Wesley's rule.  I thought it was an appropriate to tell get out some information about the Young Adult Programs of the United Methodist Church.  I can't remember if I actually ever said specifically why I was working or what brought me to work in Louisiana.  It was the US-2 program, basically a domestic social justice missionary program for young adults, ages 20-30, in the United Methodist Church.  I received an email yesterday from Alycia, a former US-2 like me who now works at the office in NYC to organize the program for other young adults, that applications were open for these programs again and to spread the word.  Since this was such a phenomenal experience for me I thought I would share the information on my blog in hopes that someone reading might be inspired to go out and change the world too.  The information from Alycia is below.  If you're not a young adult anymore, but work at an organization that you think might be a good place for a US-2 or Summer Intern that information is below as well.   


Greetings!

The youth and young adult office is accepting application for the US-2, Mission Intern and Summer Intern Program and US-2 and Summer Intern placement site.  Below you will find descriptions of the programs and requirements, as well as a link to the application.  Please feel free to spread the word!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Alycia Capone at acapone@gbgm-umc.org or 1-212-870-3660.  

Peace, Alycia

As you can see the descriptions aren't below... there are still some things that I haven't learned how to do on Blogger yet, but these are the links above are those she mentions with further information.  If you are really interested and would like a copy of the email, just leave a comment and I'll be glad to get the information to you or just email Alycia.  By the way, the deadline for application for all of the programs (and placement sites too, I think) is December 1st, 2008.  I will say that serving as a US-2 was one of the best things that I have ever done in my life.  You get to meet amazing people, explore relevant issues of justice, and most importantly do good for people.  This all sounds a bit clique I know, but sometimes its hard to put into words how formative this experience was for me.  Check out some of my earliest posts, most are labeled "social justice" or "Louisiana," for some of my thoughts during the process.  

Just, Margaret

0 comments: