Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

If being lost equals being late, what does not being lost equal...

being really early.  So the University of Bristol's campus is definitely bigger than the lovely little Hilltop I called home for four years.  Even with our extended campuses at LaGrange the entire campus was neatly laid out on a small map with every building labeled appropriately (on and off the map).  Fast forward several years and insert me (novice map reader) into an old world city that obviously has a medieval heritage (i.e. circuitous routes and narrow streets) and I'm lost, not to mention tripping on cobblestones right and left.  [smile]  Being lost can be charming, but not exactly when you know that every minute that ticks slowly by means that you are another minute late for your first graduate reading group.  Oh the horror!!!  [da, da, dummmm]  You will be happy to know that I did eventually make it to the reading group last week, but not without being about 15 minutes late (I was actually looking in the wrong building) and afterwards totally torturing myself for my brief misstep.  So this week determined that I would not be late, I set out for the right building only about an hour and a half ahead of time and arrived about an hour early.  [smile]  Hopefully I will strike a happy medium sometime before this academic session ends.  


Thus with all this time to spare, I decided it was a perfect time to share a video of an art display I took when visiting the Bristol City Museum this past Saturday.  Basically the Bristol Museum commissioned a modern artist to interpret this 19th century painting.  He came up with what you see below.  



I'm not sure if you can tell, but you are basically looking through this box that first shows the scene with the woman and her lawyers as it is in the painting.  The modern artist then twists the idea of who is guilty and who's innocent by showing the lawyers' bill and then the lawyers are well... you can draw your own conclusions.  I thought it was a quite clever way to explain the woman's distress.  Sorry about the poor quality of the video I was just using my little camera through plexi-glass... hence my image.  

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

JM said...

That's too funny Margaret. I really like your new graphic at the top of your blog. It's fantastic!