Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, October 24, 2008

Avebury

When I returned to my flat (actually probably too portentous a word for my room in the boarding house) yesterday I remember that I had forgotten to post about our visit to Avebury.  What can I say... Well one of my colleagues said that it felt kinda like a mystical union with the ancestral spirits who had built this place.   I didn't necessarily feel all that (and maybe that statement owes some to my poetic license in reinterpretation), but it was amazing to think about how humanity had come together throughout the millennia to build this monument to what no one is sure.  One of the coolest things for sure was how little restriction their is at this site.  I mean you could walk all the way up to the standing stones and touch them.  Another brief observation... something of the power seems some what allayed by the fact that part of the henge is in a sheep pasture.   It seemed a little strange to be witnessing history in such a ordinary setting.  More musings on Avebury will come in the next couple of days I'm sure, but for now I'll leave you with a few of my pics.  


Part of the outer circle.  That deep ditch looking thing is the henge.  

Part of the inner circle with a non-conformist church in the background.  The building is partly made from stones broken up during a period of history when it was common to destroy the monument.

The sheep with a stone in the background (its behind the tree).

Just, Margaret
 

2 comments:

Dori said...

I love Avebury. You are right...it's a laid back kind of place.

Mari said...

I love the sheep and the history of that place. Very nice pictures.