Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Around the table

Today is Thanksgiving in the US and I'm here in the UK missing it.  Thanksgiving is such a special day and I've tried to explain it more times than I can count to my international friends, but each explanation seems to come up wanting.  Thanksgiving is a day when we as a nation give thanks for our birth, survival skills, ect., but that's just part of it.  And really I have to say its a very small part of my family's celebrations.  I do remember as a little girl dressing up as a pilgrim or Native American (although at the time we still used the term indian) at school complete with the pilgrim bonnet or indian vest homemade from a paper grocery sack and either a wide brim collar or feather in my hair, but it has been a really long time since I've actually thought about Thanksgiving in those terms.  


As I contemplate Thanksgiving today, I envision a large table with my family seated around it smiling in the glow of having eaten their fill (and some overfill) of the bounteous feast prepared by the hands of my grandmothers, mother, aunts, along with help from a man or two I'm sure.  Now as they sit and think about the day one of my grandparents is sure to initiate the long held tradition of speaking our gratefulness aloud.  Each member of the family is ushered to say what they are most thankful for this day.  Much thanks will be spoken for the meal and the hands that have prepared it.  Others will remark about the people in attendance and I'm sure my Grammy or Mom will say something about the family who could not be gathered with them this year.  And to close a reading from the Bible or poem chosen by one of our many United Methodist pastors in attendance and read by one of the now grown-up grandchildren, then a prayer, and perhaps even a hymn.  

Then the meal will end and many hands will make light work of all the straightening up the kitchen and eating areas.  Leftovers will be put away waiting to brought out later that evening and the day after for more repast.  And it may seem like the end of a holiday, but it always seems to feel like the beginning.  Its a lovely holiday and a tradition I intend to keep even while celebrating on this side of the pond.  So I've asked members of my friends and family to join in around the table early this year to share what they are grateful for so that I can now share it with you.  

Liz, a fellow Young Adult Missionary serving in Hong Kong
-Communication.  Being so far from my family, my boyfriend and other loved ones, I have realized how hard we have to work at communication.  It is a gift that should never be overlooked.  
-Solidarity.  It sounds funny, but being in an international community, every time we find something that we connect over, it brings our worlds a little closer. When they miss their families, I understand the pain of separation.  When I'm frustrated with a language I can't grasp, they can tell their own stories of language mishaps.  Laughter, tears, dreams, hopes- they are all the same no matter where you are from.  And that is comforting.  
-Every year I celebrated Thanksgiving in the States, we always say grace over the food- reminding us to be thankful not just for abundance, but for the ability to acquire food, to prepare it to our liking, ect.  Last year, I was humbled with a single meal, nothing related to traditional holiday foods (think tofu and rice), and solitude.  And it made me think of all those who work hard everyday to harvest the rice, to prepare the tofu, to raise the chickens, grown the vegetables... their hard work is to our benefit.  And for some reason, last year it hit home even more that my food comes from the hands of individuals.  To be thankful for their hard work and dedication to cultivating food. 

Barbara, family friend
-the chance to start over every day!
-that the Lord is my Shepherd!

Sally, family friend (claim to fame:  being my dad's first babysitter) and fellow LaGrange College Alum
-The presidential election of Barack Obama which few of us could have dreamed of back in the 60s. 
-Knowing your [mine] family and learning more all the time about being Christian from them since 1957.
-Being married to Albert for 47+ years and sharing in ministry with him across the conference and general church.  
-Our son Dennis, his wife Kim, and their three children. 
-LaGrange College and what it has meant to me for more than 50 years.  
-Good friends across the entire world.  
-Opportunities to travel.  
-Living in a country where I can worship as I wish and come and go at will.  
-Having enough money to live comfortable and being able to share with those less well off.  
-Health and the opportunity to grow old.

Uncle Tim, my dad's brother and one of the many ministers in our family (this is a selection from his weekly email newsletter to his church congregation)
-The grace of God that is beyond all logic and understanding.  It is that grace which primarily defines my life.  The most important core value for me is to figure out creative ways of sharing grace. 
-The joy of reading a good book.
-The profound wisdom of children.

Grammy
-I'm thankful that my number one grandchild is getting a chance to fulfill her childhood dream of studying archaeology at Bristol University no less.  
-I'm thankful that we have elected a president who believes that we can be one and is concerned about all people.  

Granddaddy
-I am thankful that I was born into a Christian home.  
-I am thankful that God provided my Margaret [i.e. Grammy] at just the right time.  
-I am thankful that God has provided me with the resources to do some giving to others.  
-I am thankful for new beginnings. 
-I am thankful for our seven grandchildren.  

Daddy
-Always thankful for my family.  
-For good food, pumpkin pies and good soup and peanut M&Ms (you would think that after all these years I would get tired of them, but I don't), dark chocolate, and coffee.  
-For good music, like James Taylor.  
-For my guitar.  I enjoy making music.  
-For a yard to work in.  

Mama
This year I have been especially reminded of my wonderful heritage and for this I am very thankful.  Through my family and Bill's family we have parents very committed to marriage and family life and the Christian faith.  I am so grateful for the long life and good health of Elick and Margaret, my parents, (Grammy and Granddaddy) and John and Bertha Nell, Bill's parents (Mom and Pop).  After helping to clean out the John and Bertha Nell's household as they moved to Macon, I was reminded of many years even before our parents' generation of the love and gracefulness of faithful life.  For those beautiful gifts in my life, I am truly thankful.  

The Nine, my best friends
-Reconnecting with old friends.  (Meghan)
-I'm thankful for blogs.  They are another wonderful way to keep in touch.  I like writing mine and reading others.  I makes me feel connected. (Katie)
-Our house:  I remember when Meghan got her house.  Chuck and I walked by it one day, and I remember us saying how much we would like to have a DASH house one day.  I honestly never thought it would happen.  (Noelle)
-The opportunities I have to work to really get to know my kids and what they struggle with. (Courtney)
-The internet! How many times have we said that in the last year?  Yes it is easy, but it allows us to be in relationship.  I was sitting in class the other day and we didn't have an opener that week (something to center our thoughts).  The discussion leader told us about an exercise that AA and other recovery groups use.  She asked us, "Do any of y'all write grateful lists?"  (They ask recovering individuals to remember life is more than addition.)  I perked up in my chair and slowly raised my hand.  "Each week," I responded.  The class looked at me with amazement.  I smiled and explained our weekly routine.  It happens because of the great invention that is the internet! (Blair)
-Charlie Brown- my fave four legged friend. (Jane-Marie)
-Being able to do the Turkey run on Thanksgiving morning with my sister, mom, matt's mom and dad and matt!!!  It is going to be so much fun... it is a 5K downtown. (Laura)
-For friends who appreciate my appreciation of cadavers..... of rocks in our heads..... and of other such 'weird' things.  (Amber, med student)

And me... what am I grateful for?  The above individuals and the revelations that their demonstrations of thankfulness bring to my faith journey.  Thank you all for participating.  Happy Thanksgiving!
Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Dori said...

What a wonderful post! I send you a belated Happy Thanksgiving and also a Merry Christmas to come. As an expat, I can relate to you thinking even more of how Thanksgiving is back home :) I love Thanksgiving most of all because of the reflection of the day. Have a great weekend!