Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Georgia On My Mind

So the last couple of days have had me thinking of home and Georgia quite a bit... at the beginning of the week I received a pound cake, yes a homemade pound cake, in the mail from my Grammy.  I literally could not believe it, but leave it to my grandmother to defy the postal service.  I mean I thought it was awesome when I received pecan pies in the mail when I was living in North Dakota, but I never expected to receive a cake in the mail.  And of course it still tastes amazing!  I shared it with some of my housemates and I think I've convinced them all that they need to visit Georgia if only to get another piece of pound cake from my Grammy.  (I will say in addition to care packages of grandparent love, I also had the treat on Monday night of receiving a lovely Skype call from Mom and Pop.  So much fun to speak and see them at the same time.)  It has turned into a week of care packages... yesterday I received one from my friends in Louisiana.  I was almost in tears while I read Kayla's letter begging me to come back.  And the Twizlers were a special treat as I've not been able to find them in the UK yet.  I also have to say a thanks to my faithful blog readers in Louisana... I'm so glad to know that you guys are following along on all my adventures.  It really makes me feel close to you.  


Then this morning I received an emails from Blair and Megs about a recent post on Blair's blog Curbside Conference.  It was all about my friends (the girls, The Nine, ect.  I've talk about them at least once before).  Lovely post and the best part is that the sentiments could have been written by any of us although I have to give Blair props for her eloquence.  I especially loved how she wrote about "living in overlapping forms"- thats exactly how it feels.  And the post that inspired her by Sara brought up such great memories of college.  After checking my email and feeling so close to my fellow alumni, I noticed that the predicted temperature here and in Warner Robins, where my parents are was exactly the same.  So as I walked to class, I imagined for a bit that I was walking through Georgia.  It is so nice to connect in small ways with home.  Especially since Thanksgiving is coming up so soon.  

Anyway, there are so much about my archaeological adventures yesterday that I want to share, but as my photos aren't loaded on my computer yet that will have to wait for tomorrow.  

Just, Margaret

0 comments: