Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election jitters

I feel like I haven't been able to sit still all day.  My thoughts are racing and I'm checking my email and CNN's website every half hour.  Diagnosis:  Election jitters (intensified I'm sure by extra cup of coffee I had at the cafe this afternoon [smile]).  If I'm feeling this way I can't imagine actually being a candidate.  I thought maybe it was just me, but when I wrote "The Nine" this morning I realized that I'm not the only one feeling anxious about today's events.  It seems everyone is waiting and watching for some signal of what's going to happen.  


BBC Radio 4 which I listen to in the mornings now repeated I don't know how many times today that this election was being watched by the whole world.  As an international representative of the US these days, I have to say that I feel under pressure for the world to get the answer they are expecting.  If Obama doesn't win more than one international news source will have egg on their face.  The coverage I've seen seems to assume that his election is a given.  Although I hope that coverage is right, having witnessed the past two elections I'm not willing to go out on a limb and say its a given.  Anything can happen.  I guess that's what's making me jittery.  To steal the Obama's words, I've had "the audacity to hope" that this election can bring about a new era in US history.  Now my hope rests in the hands of the voters.  

Just holding my breath like the rest of the world, Margaret 

Last Minute Addition:  Okay so just after I published the blog (the first time) I went on to read the updates of all my blogging friends and I have to say that Matt's Jesus Journals entry for the day helped put things in a little better perspective.  And I do want to clarify that I know that one person's election can't change the world all by itself... it takes a community working together to do that.  So I'm still waiting in anticipation, but with a few less jitters at least from the election (the caffeine from the coffee still hasn't quite worn off [smile]). 

1 comments:

matt said...

Glad to know I could help bring a little peace to your day. It's funny, too, because I really struggled to post today. I just couldn't seem to put the words together correctly. I'm glad God speaks through bad writers!
It's also encouraging to know people are reading my posts. :)