Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Another new post about the new year

I don't usually read US News and World Report, but I happened to get a chance to read their New Year issue that included a list of 50 ways to change your life in 2009.  It was a fairly exhaustive list including tasks such as learning Russian, reading about Lincoln (this February marks his 200 birthday), riding a bike to work, and hanging your clothes to dry instead of using an electric dryer (you can save 50 cents for every load you hang to dry.)  For the full list follow this link.  One of the tasks that I thought I might take on was writing a journal of one-liners.  Not jokes, just one sentence or two about what I'd done that day or how I felt.  I've never been great about keeping a diary, but I feel like limiting my entries to just one sentence should help me be more consistent.  Here's what US News had to say about writing what they called a "clothes hanger journal."

Luann Robins, a 79-year-old grandmother of five who lives in Rhinelander, Wis., has kept such records for most of her life, storing her five-year diaries in a cedar chest at the foot of her bed. "Sometimes they bring back great memories that I might have forgotten," says Robins. Her journals are filled with comments on the weather, odd events, and her children's and grandchildren's news.

Through her minimalist journaling, Robins has kept a clear-eyed account of her history and is working on memoirs for her children to read.
I began mine on Sunday and if you are still looking for a New Year's resolution consider this your challenge.  

Just, Margaret

2 comments:

Danielle said...

i started mine today. i loved this idea. and really think i can actually stick to it. thanks for sharing.

Danielle said...

i started mine today. loved this idea and def feel like i can actually do it! thanks for sharing!