Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, January 23, 2009

A very "British" Afternoon

This week since I've had a couple of days off (I'm actually still on school holiday... all of you US students have permission to be jealous), I've been working down a list of things I need/want to buy.  I've decided that since I know I will be here now until the end of my course in September my usual nesting gene has been triggered.  So I've been buying small things (picture frames, candles, potted plants, ect.) to make my room more homey.  I am working on the premise that everything I buy will not return to the States with me... so think cheap or used.  Other things on my list include some personal holiday purchases that it just made more sense to work out when I got back here. (You'd be surprised how quickly 50 lbs. adds up when packing to fly.)  Happily I arrived back in Bristol with some Christmas money still in my pockets.  [smile] 
 

Anyway back to why today's afternoon activities were so "British." Think: WELLIES. Today I found the perfect pair of rainboots- something I would never really consider purchasing in the States, but are actually fairly essential here when I'm walking everywhere. [smile] What do you think? I love them. The print is of the English version of Smarties... not my favorite candy, but so cute. Just looking at them makes me happy. Although I've needed wellies, every time I almost bought them before I stopped myself feeling like I was giving into a silly whim.  So when Rachel, my little sister, gifted me a pair for Christmas I felt I had permission to indulge.  

After purchasing my wellies, I stepped over to the Primrose Cafe, a bistro/tea house/take-away in Clifton Village for afternoon tea.  I ordered a single pot and a piece of chocolate cake with berries, then sat for about 3/4 of an hour reading the latest edition of Vanity Fair my mom bought me in the Atlanta airport and sipping my tea.  Absolutely perfect, or should I say lovely, afternoon!  To finish off my British day, I think I might even step down to my favorite corner Fish and Chips shop for supper.  I'm kinda hoping it will begin to rain so I can try out my new wellies. [smile]  Cheerio!

Just, Margaret 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute Wellies! i'll be buying some myself next week...when i move to Seattle! :) we'll both have cute (and dry!) feet

Dori said...

I love the wellies! So cute. Your afternoon sounds great :)