Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Resolve...

As a result of my extended absence I have several thoughts I've been saving up to share.  Among them is my resolution for the year.  Here's a post that I began writing in preparation for New Years, but never exactly got back to until now.  As it is still January, I think its still relevant.  

 [smile] 

When I was little the act of making resolutions was part and parcel of New Years Eve.  Like stockings at Christmas, hunting eggs at Easter, or black-eyed peas on New Years Day, the act of making a resolution was just something we did.  I remember resolving to write in a diary every day or be nicer to my little sisters.  The regular stuff.  Over the last couple of years I've just stopped making resolutions.  I mean really what is the point most are forgotten in a matter of days, but beyond that its seems pretty irrational to set the course of a year upon a few ideas that may or may not be that well thought out.   Besides who I am on the first day of the year is never who I am on December 31st.  Now I guess a resolution I could live with would be to resolve to make resolutions each day and try to live into them during that 24 hour period.   

Anyway, after giving you all the reasons against making resolutions, I'm going to make a resolution.  On Christmas Day, my Pop said that to love must begin by loving another and letting that love be returned.  A couple of days later I was watching Expiration Date, a movie I received from my parents for Christmas, that was kinda about the same thing.  Anyway I resolved to make this my year of loving radically and perhaps more importantly learning how to be loved... who knows what might happen.   

Just, Margaret

0 comments: