Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sabbath Sunday

Taking a page from my dad's church's new youth pastor, I decide to practice what possibly might be my Lenten commitment: keeping the Sabbath. I've never done this very well... don't get me wrong I attend a worship service each Sunday, but I've always understood the concept of keeping the Sabbath goes beyond just that. To embrace what exactly I'm not sure. It will probably take me all of Lent to figure that out. For now I'm trying to think of it as an opportunity to be introspective and set apart from my regular daily work. When I begin my courses again it will mean really working to keep it free from school work. It will probably involve not watching Grey's Anatomy reruns too. [smile] Maybe I need to make understanding/studying Sabbath part of the deal as well. Any suggestions for good sources of information and/or inspiration would be appreciated.

Just, Margaret

2 comments:

Julia said...

there is a really good book called "the Sabbath" by Rabbi Abraham Heschel

We read it for a class last year and it's a good look at what the Jewish understanding of Sabbath is.

BEAT said...

We talk about Sabbath as self-care. How do you need self-care? Nap? Journaling? Reading for fun? Exercise?

I also suggest "This Day: A Wesleyan Way of Prayer." It has mini-retreats in it. I use those often for my sabbath time.