Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Act, Love, Walk

When I think about what I'm looking forward to returning to in the United States, I think superficially of foods and amenities (free laundry, my own bathroom and queen sized pillow top mattress [smile]). And of course people are on my list... I'll have not seen most of my family for 10 months when I finally arrive home. But I am just as excited about joining in again in the life of my church community.


The sermon this morning used the passage from Micah 6- "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God." The passage felt relevant not only with the thoughts I've been giving particularly to discerning my future, but also my prayers that God might reveal ways in which I might serve within my home church community while I am in transition. While the priest focused mostly on the explication of the virtues mentioned in the passage, he also spent a few minutes to emphasize the verbs- something that felt new to me. I realized anew that God calls me to action within the church, not just passive attendance. Its exciting to think of the possibilities and I pray I will be connected with others who share this call to action.

Just, Margaret

0 comments: