Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Story of Stuff

I woke up this morning with a message in my inbox from my Daddy. He was sending me a link to this video- The Story of Stuff. Instead of trying to explain it myself I've included the explanation from their website, but better yet why not take 20 minutes to watch it yourself.

The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.
It is really well done and quite insightful. Most of what its saying I've read about previously in a book called Cradle to Cradle, but still very nice to see it all put together in a compact way. Follow up the video with "10 Recommendations for Another Way."

*In regards to Recommendation #10: It takes courage, I think, not to buy in (pun intended) to the "Golden Arrow of Production." Luckily its easier if we choose make our communities into places that value something different. Join me there.*

Just, Margaret

0 comments: