Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, March 13, 2009

**4 stars**

So I expected the Rotary District Conference this weekend to be a posh event, but I didn't realize the accommodations would be so elegant.  I'm currently writing this post from my own room in a 4 star hotel.  It is definitely the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in and you can understand why it feels even more luxurious when you remember that I'm currently living the life of a poor student.  I think you could fit three and a half of my student rooms into this one room.  There is both a single and queen size bed.  I'm sleeping on the queen of course... needless to say I've missed my big bed at home and plan to enjoy all the extra space.  [sleep]  The room also has free Wi-Fi and a TV.  Best of all I have a bathroom all to myself, with an extra-long tub.  I totally indulged in a warm bath tonight before cuddling up in the complementary robe to write this (and plan to do the same tomorrow night).  Ah, the simple pleasures of a graduate student.  [smile]


Just a quick note about the Conference so far.  First, its on the island of Jersey... not sure if I mentioned that on here before.  Interestingly I had a lecture on the Channel Islands this week, about the material vestiges of their occupation by German forces in WWII.  Tomorrow I'm hoping to take some free time to explore a bit of that history.  Back to the Conference, tonight was basically just a fun evening of welcome with a delicious 3 course supper then dancing.  I even got on the dance floor with some of my club members.  [smile]  Time to be off to bed... long day tomorrow.  

Just, Margaret

0 comments: