Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Friday 5/16: A rainy day in the city and my credo



A rainy day in the city, not the best day to create the photo of humanity that I hoped to get. But this is the area I was observing yesterday and I still really find it hauntingly beautiful in the rain.


Other daily activities have included writing "our stories" for press releases and taking group photos. I hope to have a copy or two of the photos to share soon. The day came to a close with worship and a sending off ritual to celebrate our time together. After dinner, YouTube and evaluations were on the agenda. But one of my favorite activities this day was writing our credo. Mine is still very much a work in progress, but I did want to share.

This I believe...

Life is a journey toward
"authentic selfhood."
Whether I am 24 or 100
who I am still remains
somewhat a mystery to me.

I find reassurance in believing that I am created;
-part of a whole
-not alone
-intentionally made.

I find identity in believing that I am named;
-distinguished from the rest of creation
-many names to represent one me
-Margaret, student, missionary, sister, daughter, friend.

I find purpose in believing that I am called;
-not passive but active
-embracing social responsibility
-capable of creating and naming change.

This I believe.
Just, Margaret

0 comments: