Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Moving from April to May

I do realize that we are already 6 days into May, but I just changed all the calendars in my office this morning. The process of changing my desk calendar, which serves as my doodling pad and ultimate work "to-do list" during the month, is always an act of remembering. Happily I observe what I've accomplished and though I hate to admit it I also am confronted by those little tasks that have fallen away... those notes I never quite crossed off my list. To-do lists are great when they include items that can easily be checked off, but I have a tendency to work on the items that I deem easy first whether or not there are other things that deserve my immediate attention. Sometimes I might even add tasks to a list that I've already begun working on or almost completed simply for that congratulatory feeling I get with putting a line through that task. (I like to think that this is all pretty normal behavior, but maybe my type-A personality is just playing a joke on me.) Where do all those forgotten tasks end up when I trash my used calendar? Well sometimes they just disappear but today they were transferred to May 6th's to-do list. I guess I better get back to marking them off my list. My goal: For these tasks not to end up on June's list.

Just marking "posting on my blog" off my list, Margaret

0 comments: