Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Moongazing

Summer nights make me restless. I think it must have something to do with the extra daylight. I remember my parents reading me a book when I was little about a mother attempting to put a child to bed during the summer. I don't remember all the mishaps that occur, but eventually the mother paints a night scape on the child's blind to make it appear the time it felt. But I don't think my restlessness is that problematic. Plus I'm not sure whoever moves into my apartment would appreciate my painting skills.

Instead for the past couple of evenings I've been spending time at the gazebo on the bayou. Being outside and watching the night come helps bring me that rest I seek. Last night I was outside for 2 hours... reading until the daylight was gone and then watching the sunset, which was beautiful especially reflected in the bayou. Before I walked back to my apartment, I had to spend a few minutes gazing at the moon. My grandmother has this infatuation with the moon and practically insists on looking at it every night (and bringing me outside with her when I'm visiting). I'm not sure what she sees in the moon, but it attracts her like it does the tides. I think that as long as I live whenever I see a moon I'll think of her. I also like the thought of being contemplative when I look at the moon. Moongazing is observing something that changes yet remains unchanged. It's definitely an interesting philosophy to consider.

Just, Margaret

0 comments: