Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Too much light to sleep...

How is it that right before you leave a place you find a spot, somewhere special, you've never noticed before. Suddenly the thought of leaving even to go home seems ominous. It happened for me tonight... 21 days away from leaving Sager Brown... 21 days away from completing my missionary service and I found a place of peace that was here all along. I had just not been present enough to observe it.

Tonight at 6:45 I ventured away from the comforts of my apartment for vespers worship (my routine for practically every Thursday night for a year and a half). The service from the first "And so shall we" of the Social Creed to our closing "Shalom" was special, but not out of the ordinary. Once again it was a blessing to share in the volunteers stories of service and little epiphanies experienced throughout the week. Hearing Teresa of Avila's declaration that we are Christ's hands and feet and then singing Pass It On was another reminder of my purpose in stepping away from my other life to serve.

As I left the service, the bright, late dusk of summer beckoned me to remain outside and so after stopping by my office I ventured to the bayou. And here I sat watching the water, feeling the breeze, sensing the coming dark and basically just recognizing this unusual gift of the present moment.

Just grateful for 21 more days, Margaret

0 comments: