Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Monday, August 31, 2009

August Movie Review

THE PROPOSAL
Just okay. I’ve seen better romantic comedies and better Sandra Bullock movies. Good for a few laughs, but I would definitely wait to rent it on DVD or better yet wait to watch it on TNT or USA as it will inevitably end up being one of their “new classics” in a year or two. Most bizarre was that the female lead’s name was Margaret... completely threw me for a loop. I don’t plan to watch this one again. (1 of 5)


I hesitate to even admit that I paid money to see this awful film. Misogynistic to the nth degree, predictable, and not really funny. I am a fan of Katherine Heigl (I like her portrayal of Izzie Stevens on Grey's), but after reading about her criticism of Knocked Up as sexist I assumed she would be more discriminating of other scripts. After seeing The Ugly Truth, I'm assured she is not. (0 of 5)

THE TIME TRAVELERS WIFE
Another not so great rom com, especially when compared to the book. I guess I should have expected that last part. Films are rarely as good as their literary counterparts. Somehow the real thrust and emotion of the book was lost in translation. (1 of 5)

Just, Margaret

0 comments: