Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, August 14, 2009

Dig it!

Tomorrow is the start of a two week excavation. For real, not just ice cream. [smile] I'm away for about 8 hours each day, 11 days total. The exciting bit is I do get to return to my own bed and hot shower each evening. No camping in a cold tent. Yahoo! I'll try to bring a few updates throughout the weeks... though don't expect too much as I'm sure I'll be exhausted. Pray for nice weather. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a tan at the end of the 2 weeks as opposed to a cold from rainy England? I think I might be a bit too optimistic on that front.

If anyone is interested, we'll be excavating a Second World War site occupied at some stage by US GIs. Its located just out of Bristol city limits... at Tyntesfield- a national trust estate. Overall there is very little information about the site... all shrouded in a mystery for some reason. I'm not sure you can expect me to be very enlightening at the end of the two weeks. We'll just be digging 30 odd test pits and trying to shed light on what areas and how deep actual trenches should be for next year's continuation of the project. Still I'm hoping the extra practice will help me hone my digging techniques and recording skills while inspiring me to finish my dissertation. Perhaps we'll find some indication of a significant homefront interaction (a stockpile of nylons, a big gum ball, etc. [smile]).

Just, Margaret

0 comments: