Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A theology of hope

I attended a evening church meeting tonight... tackling the topic of "free" will and predestination. I thought for sure I knew what I was in for, namely conservative theology. And while that did come up in the time for questions, I was pleasantly surprised by the openness and inclusivity of the speaker's perspective. He did not try to explain away the questions the idea of "free" will or what it might mean to be "predestined", rather he embraced a theology of hope and the idea of fellowship within suffering. What I really wanted to share out of all of this though was the quote he ended the discussion with.

Hope has two beautiful daughters, their names are Anger and Courage- anger at the way thing are and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
The words of Augustine rang out in truth for me at least... the profundity of connecting my personal capacity for hope with my passion for justice ministries.

Just, Margaret

0 comments: