Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Nightly Rituals

Okay so I'm kinda obsessed with using facial mud masks... you know to exfoliate and such. Its a de-stresser for me and it also seems to help my skin, so I do it about twice a week. Usually later at night, just before bed or in the morning before I shower... though I'm never really worried about seeing anyone with it on cause I'm in my room and if I see my housemates is usually running into them in the hall or kitchen. Sure you can see where this is going. I decided to prepare for bed early cause I'm waiting on a Skype call from my parents and grandparents and I also wanted to read and it is a Sunday and so what if I get ready for bed before 10 sometimes (my teacher friends go to bed by 9). I'm also tired from a busy weekend (JM and I walked at least 5 miles yesterday and mostly uphill) and I didn't allow myself to take an afternoon nap. So I put on the mask (which is a pale lavender that when dried I'm sure makes me look like one of the walking dead... ghostly pallor and all) and start reading and forget its there until... "Knock, knock". Yep go to the door and its Ibrahim and Hiro, nice guys but guys none the less. And so I yell out the door as I'm opening it because its inevitable now that I've already asked "who is it?" that "my face is purple and I'm sorry. What do they need?" [oy] That was one of the longest 3 minutes in my life because I and they are acutely aware of my abnormally colored face. Conversation over and I close the door and all I can think is "of course this would have to happen to me."

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Geotacs said...

it's okay...

i'm sure the guys will learn that it's only natural that sometimes our face looks kind of funny in a different color...

but yeah i can totally understand the "this would have to happen to me" feeling... just one of those days... :)