Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bring a torch, Jeanette Isabella.

Its Advent.  have I mentioned this earlier?  I'm not sure.  Anyway I love Advent.  Really its got to be my favorite part of the Christmas season.  The ritual associated with Advent is lighting candles... one each Sunday until Christmas Eve when we light the center candle symbolizing the birth of Christ.  Well that's just a little Advent primer.  Actually the reason for this post is to share you a poem from a Christmas card I received in the mail from my Grammy and Granddaddy today about lighting candles.  It inspired me.  Consider it a Advent meditation.


I will light candles this Christmas.  
Candles of joy, despite all sadness. 
Candles of hope where despair keeps watch. 
Candles of courage for fears ever present. 
Candles of peace for tempest-tossed days. 
Candles of grace to ease heavy burdens. 
Candles of love to inspire all my living. 
Candles that will burn all the year long. 
- Howard Thurman  

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

BEAT said...

So, Advent is actually its own season. We really aren't supposed to say Merry Christmas until after the 25. I want to make a bunch of money creating Happy Advent cards, instead of Merry Christmas ones. I'm just saying. That's my rant for the day.

You know I'm kidding, well sorta.