Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Final Countdown



I turned in my last course assignment in this morning after a 12 hour day staring at a computer screen and then deciding at the last minute (literally an hour before it was due) to change the title.  I totally made it to the department building in half the time.  [smile]  Anyway, I'm still trying to process how I feel about being finished with my first semester or session as they call them across the pond.  I think it may take a few more days before I can really articulate it all, but I feel pretty good.  If I remember correctly I titled my very first post about the department was titled "What is Archaeology?"  Now I feel like I have a better idea... "archaeology is what archaeologists do."  Okay I have to admit that I owe this definition to David Clark and I guess I must also apologize for it is seems a bit vague.  But after three months of studying, it is really the best definition.  I've met so many different people (some who research Egyptology, others who work in heritage management, a few who consider archaeology a science, ect) who call themselves archaeologists and I've read so many theories that link archaeology with multiple disciplines (history, art history, anthropology, sociology, material studies).  I've decided archaeology is more of a state of mind than anything else... choosing to look at the material evidence and seeing where that leads.

Anyway these are just some preliminary thoughts and I'm sure more will come as I have all of Christmas Break to think about it.  But you know what finishing my last essay means... its almost time to fly home for the holidays!  So here is the final countdown:
2 more days of class
4 more days until I'm back in Georgia
Happy Christmas and Cheers!
Just, Margaret



2 comments:

BEAT said...

Adam and I think you should visit us during your month off. Nashville is one cool city. Think about.

ps: And when I say Adam and I, I mean I said to Adam, "I think I'll invite her."

Dori said...

It has been so fun learning about what you are studying and to follow along with your adventures. I know that you are getting so excited about your trip home. Have a great time! :)