Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, December 12, 2008

So English!

Yesterday my final course event for the session was a re-scheduled reading group.  Sitting upstairs in our old building and talking about archaeology was so awesome.  It was one of those moments when I had a self-realization about what an amazing experience I'm getting to have.  Whether I decide to continue with archaeological study and pursue that type of career in several years or not, this whole year abroad will be totally worth it for moments like that.  I titled this post "So English"- maybe it wasn't really an authentic English moment, maybe it could have happened just as easily at a grad school in the US, but for me it fulfilled one of those things on my "checklist" of experiences to have this year.  It was also a particularly great way to end the term.  We've (I mean me and the rest of the HistArchs) have gotten to a point where we do understand things to a certain extent that allows us to enter in some intelligent discussion and even a little debate.  My only regret is that I didn't have a chance to process some of this prior to turning in my last essay.  Oh well, this whole year is about learning not knowing and learning is a process, not something that can happen overnight.  


Yesterday night however did end in a very "English" way in the pub, again with other archaeology students as the supporting cast and archaeology the subject of choice, along with an interesting debate about English vs. American beer and lager.  [smile]  Although I know I really need this break at Christmas to step back and prepare myself emotionally, mentally, and physically (my diet over the last few weeks has been super crazy) for the next 9 months of work, I'll kinda hate to say goodbye even for a little while.  Its odd this Trans-Atlantic yearning.  That's all for now... on the to-do list for the day:  laundry, returning books, beginning to pack, ect. 

Just, Margaret  

1 comments:

Dori said...

I'm glad that you are having so many great "English" moments :) Have a great weekend!