Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, February 8, 2009

"If I loved you"

Last week I traveled with the Bristol Rotary Club to London to visit Westminster Abbey and see Rogers and Hammerstein's Carousel.  Although the day started off a little uncertainly (with all the snow of course), we all had a great time.  I have to say that I was pretty psyched about the whole trip.  I hadn't been to London since I arrived, plus last time I was there I missed seeing Westminster Abbey and I of course always love going to a musical.  Our tour of the Abbey was particularly great as we had our own private guide.  We saw all the highlights, Elizabeth 1's and Mary Queen of Scots graves, the coronation chair, Poets corner, grave of the unknown soldier.  We were a bit rushed and didn't have time to explore on our own, but I imagine that it would take a full day to see everything.  



Upon exiting the Abbey we walked the few blocks to the Savoy, past Big Ben and the House of Parliament, several of the international embassies.  We also happened to pass Number 10 Downing Street just in time to see the Prime Minister's convoy of cars arrive.  Really quite exciting (although I couldn't actually see into the vehicle to be sure it was him)!  We arrived at the Savoy Theatre in plenty of time to find our seats for the matinee.  Of all the musicals I've seen in Atlanta, London, and New York, I've never seen a Rogers and Hammerstein show.  The production was awesome.  The actor playing Billy Bigelo was particularly great, a very good singer.  The plot of Carousel is actually quite depressing (secret love, lost, and eventually love realized).  Everyone was in tears by the time for the curtain call.  Its one of those shows that makes you want to make sure you express your feelings to those who you care about.  The day ended with fish and chips at a pub.  


Just, Margaret

0 comments: