Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Plans delayed, cathedral bells, and the cinema

I unexpectedly have had a free day.  The winter weather (that is in fact much better today with no active snowing) has put off the plans I had to visit a Rotary Club just outside of Bristol.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to revisit the club in better weather.  I was particularly looking forward to seeing the Gloucester Cathedral, the one used in the Harry Potter films as Hogwarts, and the tailor shop that was the inspiration for one of Beatrix Potter's stories.  I'll just have to make plans to visit the village some time later in the spring.  


My day instead included working a bit more on transcribing my great grandfather's journal (its not long I've just put it off as reading for class took over) and then a trip to the Central Bristol Library to do some research for another paper.  Interestingly from the time I arrived at the library to the time that I left, the bells of the Bristol Cathedral were ringing.  Over an hour of church bells pealing out an indistinct melody.  I'm not sure if they do this every day or every Saturday, but it seemed quite unusual (and quite lovely) to me.  Upon leaving the library I headed over to the Watershed theater for a matinee.  I saw Doubt... a great, albeit at times disturbing movie.  Anyway that was my day... sounds super exciting I'm sure.  [smile] I had fun.  Tomorrow may bring more snow, I'll let you know.   

Just, Margaret

0 comments: