Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

5 hours ahead

Most of the time, Bristol doesn't feel that far from Georgia at all.  So I can't hop in my car like I could in Louisiana and be home in 10 hours.  I'm still in the Western world and I basically speak the same language as the local population.  The one constant reminder I always have of how far away I am is the time difference.  Everyday I wake up 5 hours ahead.  While this usually means I have some emails from friends and family to read when I wake, which I love- thanks "The Nine,"it also means I have another 5 hours before I can expect to hear back from any responses I might send.  Sometimes it kinda feels like someone's hit the pause version... that I'm living in this liminal space of two time zones at once.  My brain registers both times whenever I check the time.  (8 and 3, noon and 7, 10 and 5).  About a month ago when the US had already moved into Daylight Savings and the time difference was minus one hour, you'd be surprised how exciting that felt.  Such is the life of an international student.  


Just, Margaret

1 comments:

BEAT said...

And it is 6 hours for us. :(