Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, April 17, 2009

End of term field trips: A retrospective, part 2

Thanks for bearing with me yesterday. I do hope these picture are worth the wait. This second set of photos are from my weekend visit with the Severn Vale Rotary Club in Gloucestershire. Pronounced for all you non-Brits out there kinda like this gla(short a)-tu-sure... well at least thats how it sounded to my American ears. [smile] On the agenda for the weekend was a wine tasting, tenpin bowling, visits to the local Cathedral (renown for being the site of Edward II's grave... he's got a really horrific death story, look it up if you dare and for being one of the composite sites for Hogwarts) and Frampton Court, and a drive through the Cotswalds. Can I just say now that house I was dreaming about with the Bristol blue door will also either be the color of Cotswald stone... a beautiful luminescent yellow. I totally fell in love with the villages my great tour guide, Sally, showed me. 

 
Just one last note about the Cathedral... part of the tour was a "backstage pass" so to speak to see the bell tower.  I've been in many cathedrals, but never actually up inside of them and it was an amazing experience to see what is above a vaulted ceiling. Turns out it looks nothing like I expected.  Its the complete opposite of the finished look of a gothic ceiling, very rough and dusty.  Nothing of the beauty below is evident.  Anyway not to go totally philosophical on you, but it made me think a bit about the dual selves we present to the world and what we are inside or another way to look at it might be to think about how a beautiful creation can come from something that appears ugly or unfinished.  Just a thought.  Now for photos.  


Looking down at the cloisters used for Hogwart's Halls. 

At the very top of the bell tower in the Cathedral.

I love this photo with the cloudy sun.  
Some images just happen upon you.  

Amazingly beautiful isn't it?  

Frampton Court

This is the summer house in "Strawberry Hill Gothic" style for the residents of above.  
Really roughing it, right?

Okay so hopefully now that you are all caught up on the specifics and have enjoyed the photos. [smile] That's all for now.
Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been to that Cathedral! It was really beautiful (um... and even better that Harry Potter was filmed there!!!!)