Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, April 30, 2009

April Film Review

I'm trying out a new concept:  the reoccurring thematic post.  Over the long Easter weekend, I watched a few movies, all that I enjoyed, and wanted to recommend to others.  Instead of taking up several posts I decided a better idea would be to review them all on a single day.  With hope that I would see a few more films this month that I'd want to add to my review I thought I'd try lumping them all together in a post at the end of the month.  As a quick preface, let me say that my tastes in films is quite eclectic.  I enjoy a good romance, horror film, or drama.  I'm most critical of comedies.  I tend to think that very few really great comedies are made currently... the low brow humor that seems to be en vogue just really isn't my thing.  I love Hitchcock classics and a new favorite includes films by Danny Boyle.  I love old Hollywood actors, but I watch a lot of new films too.  So on to April's watching brief:


I love this film.  Part documentary, part graphic novel, part comedy, part romance.  "Ordinary life is pretty complex stuff."  Based on the graphic novel/autobiography of Harvey Pekar, it basically chronicles his process toward becoming a writer of realism comics.  It is a must see if only for the ANNIE HALL-esque love story stuck in the middle.  "Harvey, I think we should just skip the whole courtship thing and get married."  Absolutely brilliant!  (5 out of 5 stars)

French film about a 25 yr. old art history masters student who decides she is ready to get married then goes about trying to seduce her best friend's cousin.  Sounds like it should be funny, but it plays out more like a documentary.  Lots of talking, but I found it interesting- probably because I could identify with the character (25, masters student, ect.) though I've never thought of trying to force marriage so purposefully.  I found the ending as well as the crazy 80s French music and dress to be the best parts of the film.  The acting felt a little flat, but that's also what I think made it feel so realistic.  (3 out of 5)

Zombies infected with a virus that causes intense, violent rage.  Enough said regarding the plot.  As monster horror films go I'd say that this is a pretty great one.  The concept is simple which I think is the best thing going for it.  The fatal flaw in horror films is that the premise is too complex and instead of actually watching the film the audience is left trying to figure it out the whole way through.  (Two great examples of the failed suspense thriller:  Stephen King's THE MIST and as much as it pains me to say it because I'm a big M. Night Shyamalan fan THE HAPPENING.)  However back to the film at hand, I also loved the twist in the plot.  I don't want to give away completely for anyone out there who hasn't seen the film, except to say that there comes a point when zombies aren't the worst enemy.  My favorite element of the film has got to be the soundtrack.  Like in SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, Danny Boyle makes some unusual choices, but I think it indicates his expectation of his audience's intelligence.  My only complaint I guess is that its fairly violent and I don't really like violent films.  I think films can sometimes be just as scary without all of that.  Overall though, a great film if you are looking for that rush of adrenaline that is characteristic of the best horror films.  (4 out of 5)  

Not sure whether I should count this as 1 movie or 4... for sake of time and space in this post I think I'll lump them all together.  These are made for TV films, but per BBC tradition they are "top notch," including up and coming British talent, great sets, good directing.  The quartet includes modern (i.e. 21st c.) reinterpretations of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, THE TAMING OF THE SHREW, MACBETH, and A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM.  I think what I like most is the perspective of reinterpretation... Shakespearian quotes are littered throughout, but interwoven into the story to give just the right touch of classicism.  The situations, settings, and language have been changed to fit the time.  Brilliantly illustrates the storytelling mastery that is William Shakespeare.  MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S was a bit disappointing, but MACBETH was frightening.  By far, TAMING OF THE SHREW was my favorite... I was laughing out loud.  I recommend renting them if you get a chance.  (4 out of 5)

French film following the turbulent life of a French boy (about 12/13 yrs. old I think).  He's labeled a juvenile delinquent by his parents who are arguably emotionally abusive and teachers.  Considered to be one of the classic films of French cinema.  I wasn't wholly impressed by the plot (very thin and not logical), but the cinematography was quite remarkable.  In one scene the young boy and a friend attend a "Punch and Judy" show in a park.  The scene is largely composed of close up shots of the very young children in the audience. Their expressions are so truthful and so beautiful.  I have to wonder if the director just employed real French children to simply naturally watch the puppet show and used the camera to observe.  The scene below has to be the most hilarious and I couldn't help but think if I were them I think I would be tempted to skip too. (3 out of 5)
A fast-paced, smart, political comedy.  Mocumentary style (you know like they use in The Office) that explores the ins and outs of political speak and the complex political relationship between London and D.C.  I think what I like most about this movie was its focus on the aids.  Neither President nor Prime Minister ever made even a cameo appearance.  Overall very funny, but beware of the London offices penchant for shall we say "off color language."  (3 out of 5)

Just, Margaret

P.S. If you haven't discovered yet, all the links connect with IMDB.com.  Just thought it might be helpful if you read about a film you might be interested in watching.

0 comments: