Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Monday, April 20, 2009

Re-reading Shakespeare

After watching several Shakespeare adaptations in the last couple of days, I decided to pick up the real thing.  I'd forgotten how adept Shakespeare is in communicating the ups and downs of love in his comedies.  Speaking of, I think that one of the failures of my South Georgian education was that most of the Shakespeare I was required to read were tragedies (Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, ect.).  In fact I can't think of one of his comedies that I actually read in conjunction with a class.  There's just so much murder, betrayal, and suicide one can take before you develop this picture of Shakespeare as some depressing sadist intent in destroying the lives of all his characters.  [smile] So I'm re-reading Much Ado About Nothing and reading Taming of the Shrew for the first time in hopes of remembering the storytelling skills of one of England's most famous playwrights.  Its quite relevant reading actually as "The Bard's" 445 birthday is just a few days away, plus I'm hoping to journey to Stratford upon Avon sometime this summer.  


In other news, Bristol is enjoying another beautiful (and warm) Spring day which means the parks are populated with students preparing for exams, professionals on lunch breaks, nannies with strollers, and the random dog chasing a frisbee.  Its great!  I just hope it lasts through the summer. [fingers crossed]

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Kim said...

This is so true! In all of my lit classes we focused on the tragedies. And the comedies often hold some of the more important truths about life.