Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, July 10, 2009

Archaeological Pub Crawl

Sounds crazy I know, but I really do have to visit several pubs for my research... pubs frequented by US servicemen in the 1940s. Today I'm printing out my map and making a plan to visit them sometime next week. I don't expect to find these establishments under the same proprietors, but its just possible some trace of the story will still exist. If I'm lucky I'll find the "Holy Grail," period graffiti in a booth or maybe a few relics (buttons or badges) collected by the bartender and passed down. Oh I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but this could really be the BIG break I've been waiting for. [smile and sigh] Now the only problem that I see arising from this research scenario is that in order for people to talk to me I'm going to have to order something... multiply that by lets say five establishments that I've confirmed are still in business and I'm in trouble. [smile] I'll probably just limit myself to lemonade or ginger ale with the excuse that I'm on the job. If there are any Bristol friends out there who would like to tag along and lend me some legitimacy in that arena let me know.


Just, Margaret

2 comments:

Katie B said...

How fun! I wish I could go!

josgigi said...

Marg, you know if you ever say "Holy Grail" i will go crazy!! I am in!!