Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, July 3, 2009

Rocky Road Ice Cream

I didn't know until I stumbled upon it today that Bristol actually has a Baskin Robins. I've eaten ice cream from BR since I was really little. My first memories of eating ice cream are of having some at BR. So its a special place to me and when I saw the logo in Bristol's Galleries Mall today I did a double take and then walked toward the case not breathing in what felt like slow motion movie style wishing that Rocky Road was a standard flavor in this country too. And it is! I must have seemed absolutely insane to the girl behind the counter, muttering something about how I couldn't believe they had Rocky Road ice cream, how I must have a scoop in a cup, and thanking her profusely for a stocking my favorite flavor of ice cream on the planet though I know she had no control over it. I went on to explain that I hadn't enjoyed any Rocky Road ice cream since I had last been home in December. Turned out she likes Rocky Road too and felt it was a pleasure to sell their last scoop to someone who enjoyed it as much as her (I'm not making that up she actually said that). [smile]


It tasted just as I remembered it and I had to fight back tears as I enjoyed the first few bites. I guess I've been feeling a bit homesick... now that the visits from Blair and Adam and Janell and Emily are over. Today the Rocky Road was my gift of home.

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

JM said...

ice cream always makes me feel better too. I think it has healing powers. two days ian and I made fajitas on a friday night and it felt so right.. seeing as my fam always goes out for mexican on a friday! thank goodness for little slices of home!