Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Friday, July 31, 2009

July Movie Review

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
This is of course a re-watch. I love Star Wars, but my least favorite scene/line in the original 3 movies occurs in this film. See video clip below.



The sheer arrogance of Solo is so frustrating I always have to yell at the screen. Note to any male readers out there: "I know" is not the correct response to "I love you." (5 out of 5)

PS I LOVE YOU
Good movie if what you're looking for is a reason to weep. That's what I did throughout. Really sad, sickly sweet at points, totally a Hollywood romance. Wish I could say I thought a man like Gerry actually existed, but I'm afraid I've learned I shouldn't hold my breath. I'll make sure to rent this again when I have that monthly hormonal urge to cry. (2 of 5)

THE READER
A different caliber of movie all together from the others I've watched recently. Really a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Kate Winslet is phenomenal. Though at times difficult to watch, definitely one not to be missed. (5 of 5)

DANNY DECKCHAIR
"Will you join me on my journey? What about you?" I loved this movie. It was an iTunes rental... something that just caught my eye. It was so funny, a change from most of the romcoms I've seen lately. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. Just a very cute movie, perfect for the whole family. One I would have no qualms recommending to my grandparents and I'm sure my 20 something friends would love it too. Rent it tonight. (5 of 5 stars)

A French film with Audrey Tautou. Really could you ask for more? Absolutely sweet movie. The best description I can think of is to describe it as a reversal of Pretty Woman... if you can imagine what that might be like. I giggled throughout at the silly scenarios that follow this couple on their road to love. I am a bit puzzled by the the R rating... no nudity or "coarse" language, must be the "gold digger" plot. If you're okay with subtitles definitely something to see. (4 of 5)

I will own up to being a total HP fan. Read all the books... even pre-ordered the 7th book. Now that that's out there I'll say this was my favorite of the movies and also my favorite of the books. The adaptation was great... or as good as an adaptation of a 600+ page book can be expected to go. Plus, for the first time one of the films captured the humor of the books in addition to the suspense. Definitely worth seeing in the theater... twice (which is what I did). [smile] (5 of 5)

Not sure exactly how to review this as it is the first Japanese anime film I've ever seen. I enjoyed it, but also found it quite confusing. It did help to have a Japanese friend watching along to explain some of it. I do think I should (and will) watch it again because I'm fairly certain there's an ecological lesson to be gleaned. (3 of 5)

Just, Margaret

1 comments:

Kacie said...

I was a little embarassed by liking PS, I Love You, but was vindicated by my husband's tears!